Yoga workouts provide countless benefits for your body and mind. Here we’ll cover the benefits of yoga and how it can improve your physical and mental health.
1. Increased flexibility and range of motion. Yoga is one of the best things that you can do to improve your flexibility and to increase your range of motion. Most people find that their flexibility dramatically improves the longer that they do yoga. When they first start out, they may need to use blocks or other assistive tools to help them hold certain poses, simply because they lack flexibility. As they continue to practice, however, their flexibility improves until they reach the point that they can do the poses without any assistance.
2. Stronger muscles. When most people think about building muscle, weightlifting is probably the first thing that comes to mind. As it turns out, however, yoga is a great way to increase muscular strength. Holding challenging postures is a fantastic way to build muscle throughout your entire body, helping to achieve a toned physique.
3. Healthier joints. Yoga helps protect the joints by keeping the cartilage healthy and increasing the amount of synovial fluid in the joints. Additionally, it strengthens the muscles surrounding the joints, helping to minimize the amount of strain that is put on the joint itself.
4. Increased bone density. Any type of weight-bearing exercise can help increase bone density. Yoga requires you to support your own body weight, helping to keep your bones healthy and strong.
5. Better posture. When you practice yoga, you become much more aware of how you are holding your body. This can help you break bad posture habits. Additionally, regularly practicing yoga helps strengthen the muscles of your core, making it easier to stand up straight or to sit without slouching.
6. A calmer mind. Yoga requires you to turn your attention from the outside world and focus internally, instead. Throughout a typical workout, you constantly have to think about how you are holding your body and how you are breathing. This can help calm your mind, making it easier to stay in the moment. This mindfulness is one of the reasons why yoga is so relaxing and restorative. It is fantastic for dealing with stress and for helping you stay more focused.
7. Improved circulation. Practicing yoga helps improve circulation by forcing blood to flow through your system. For instance, when you twist your body, it applies pressure to your internal organs, helping to squeeze the blood out of them. When you release the pose, the blood flows back in. Using your arms and legs throughout your workouts can also boost blood flow to your hands and feet, improving your circulation all around.
8. Increased fat burning. Certain types of yoga may help you burn fat. Some fast-paced styles of yoga elevate your heart rate high enough to put you in the fat-burning zone. Additionally, because yoga helps you build muscle, it can increase your metabolic rate, helping your body use calories more efficiently.
9. A happier outlook. Some studies have shown that yoga is effective at combating depression. In the studies, people who regularly practice yoga enjoyed increased serotonin levels, resulting in a happier outlook on life.
10. Better balance. Yoga frequently requires you to hold your body in strange positions. Oftentimes, you are forced to balance on one leg or to bend at awkward angles. All of this can help improve your balance, making you steadier on your feet.
These ten benefits of yoga workouts are just the tip of the iceberg. Yoga provides countless other benefits to both the body and the mind, making it one of the best workouts that you can do for your health and well-being.